Improving the culture of hospitals for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people (2012)
This resource poster outlines the Improving the culture of hospitals project (ICHP) which examines successful Indigenous programs conducted by hospitals within a quality improvement framework. The resource aims to highlight the need for improvement in hospital services for Indigenous people in order to achieve equity in health outcomes.
The poster includes findings from the case study results which indicate, hospitals considered to be successfully addressing the issues of their Indigenous patients share the following characteristics:
- strong partnerships with Indigenous communities
- enabling State and Federal policy environments
- leadership by hospital boards, CEO/general manager and key clinical staff
- strategic policies within their hospitals
- structural and resource supports
- commitment to supporting the Indigenous workforce.
Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet abstract